A practical way to rank opinions.
- Opinions based on large datasets across similar situations. This is academic research or market research.
- Opinions based on limited datasets of the current situation. This is personal and direct experience.
- Opinions based on limited datasets across similar situations. This is personal and past experience or, typically, business books and good blogs, online courses, podcasts, etc.
- Opinions based on one or two datapoints across situations that might or might not be similar to the current one. This is anecdotical knowledge, and still where probably most online content nowadays fall into.
- Opinions based on beliefs and feelings. This is where most companies and teams die.
Aim for 1 or 2 when you have to make decisions that matter. Use 3 to broaden your perspective, but carefully understand how to filter through it. Entertain yourself with a controlled amount of 4. Run when people start arguing based on 5.
It would be fair to rank this post a 3.